Saturday, October 4, 2008

St. Olaf Homecoming 2008








Today was a truly glorious day to travel on down to Northfield to take in the St. Olaf Homecoming football game against Carleton. While we got away from St. Cloud late on account of the boys swimming lessons, we were still able to get to Northfield by about halftime of the game. The only bummer was that I got there too late to get the standard homecoming coffee mug - of course the good side of that was I didn't have a coffee mug with apple cider in it to attract any bees this year. That is always the bad side of the coffee mugs given away at homecoming.

The picture of the boys and I in front of the harvest display was taken when we first got to campus inside the student center. Gunnar was very cute as he and I walked inside (to find a bathroom of course)...he looked up at me and said, "Mom, I'd better start getting to know my way around here so that I don't get lost when I come here." He is bound and determined to be an Ole down the road. We're quite happy with his aspirations.

Both boys LOVE watching the football game since all the kids are allowed to watch the game right from the sidelines. They even brought along their football for some postgame action with Mom on the field. I ran into Gina, my friend DeAnn's daughter, who was at Olaf to watch her boyfriend play for the Ole's. Gina is a freshman this year up at UMD so it was a lot of fun to get caught up with her regarding her experiences as a freshman Bulldog! She's a great kid and is going to go far in life! :)

After the game, Gunnar, Hans, and I threw the football a bit out on the field. Just as I attempted to launch my first throw to them I heard a rather sarcastic remark regarding my ability from right behind me...of course it was Bob Klefsaas, my softball coach from when I was an Ole. He was going to hear the postgame wrap-up as his youngest is a Freshman on the team this year. The Oles are having a good season so far, but somehow they managed to lose (to Carleton!) yesterday! Oh well, it was still a wondeful day to spend wandering around the campus taking in the sights and the fall colors.

We checked out the new Science Center! It is truly amazing! The views from the top floor were rather spectacular. It is located right next to Old Main (which I believe is the original building of the college from back in 1874). Gunnar and Hans always enjoy hearing the story of how their Grandpa John brought a donkey up to the top floor of Old Main when he was a student there. The obvious question I get each time is "Why would Grandpa John do that?" Ours is not to question why! ;) I love the picture of Gunnar in front of Old Main...when he heads down there as a student 10 years from now, I'll have to drag that one out of the archives!

No comments: